Tuesday, February 17, 2009

guest blogger camille: board books

Note: Camille has a Masters degree in Children's Literature and is currently teaching a course on it...
I love board books. They are so great for little ones who want to tear pages. And the stories are short enough to capture young minds and introduce them to reading. A lot of the picture books that my 3 1/2 year old likes are too long for the short attention span of my 18 month old. But if we want to all read together, my three year old still LOVES our board books. I am a firm believer that one never becomes "too old" for a great book. Here are a few board books that are loved parent and child alike at our house:

(As you can see my pictures are from Amazon where you can "Click to LOOK INSIDE" the book)


A fun story with amazing pictures. This story is also "the very first full-color picture book to feature a small black hero" (Horn book). A great story for a snowy day.

I love all of Dr. Seuss's books. They are so clever and fun. This is probably our favorite board book to read. It has a great rhythm and your kids can buzz, moo and cockadoodledoo.


This is a favorite bed time story. It also stars a father and child, which is fun.

A classic. I love the pictures, the text - it never grows old.

A friend recently gave us this one and my kids love it. There is very little text so it is a great introduction to "reading the pictures". The pictures are very funny to my kids.


My mother-in-law gave us this one and we love it. It has come apart from being read so much. The title alone tells you how great the text is and there is a "look and find" element as well.


I love Sandra Boynton's books. But this one is far and away our favorite. (Birthday Monsters is second). This book has a great rhythm, is silly and fun. Sing this book to your child while promenading around the room. It's really how it was meant to be read.


These are just a few of my favorite board books, what are some of yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails