Thursday, April 28, 2011

a new mantle


This is Angela's soon-to-be living room. she wants a new take on the fireplace.
First, the gold tone of the actual fireplace? Must go. The brick can go either way.
Here are a couple of non-brick options.

All wood mantle. Make sure it makes a statement with lots of levels and textures.

All wood with a metal center.

Stone-not one of my personal favorites but a classic none the less. I think that this option demands a floor to ceiling approach.

All stone. Likely very expensive, but gorgeous.

Wood with tile.

The fireplace has a lot of brick. Personally, I don't think it is necessary to get rid of all of it.

You could get rid of the raised ledge and cover a good portion of the brick with a wood mantle.

Painting the brick white is a current trend.

You can't see this one well but it has almost the same color brick as what Angela will be inheriting.

Paint the brick white and add a full wood mantle.

A more colonial option.

A good example of exposed natural brick with a wood mantle.

And one last fireplace!
via finish dimensions, a room somewhere, michael folks, fireplace makeover, 123RF, fuller's woodworks, desire to inspire, decorology

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much! I love all of these. The stone is my favorite. But I think you're right it probably is pretty expensive. I also like the wood with tile. And I think I'll have to get rid of the raised brick. Thanks so much Cara, I'll be bugging you again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails